Monday, February 16, 2009

long awaited review


Slumdog Millionaire
Directed By : Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later)
Rating 4.1/5 Stars

One of the most feel good movie I had seen in awhile. Firstly it is amazing that an English director managed to shoot a movie about India and the slums living conditions like he had lived there his whole life.

But I don't like the idea of the two leads Dev Patel and the really cute Indian girl Freida Pinto being shot to superstardom due to the success of the movie. I can say their performances is like the two worst performances in the movie. All the cast are really good, especially the young kids who played the siblings and they had never even acted their whole life. (and who knows, they may not even had watch TV b4)

But the main reason why the movie success is its feel good factor, typically of a Indian Bollywood movie with all its singing and dancing and no doubt the movie deserve all the accolades it got at the Oscars, I think only the Dark Knight even come close as competition to Slumdog, but too bad the pretendious Academy dun like superheroes.




The Wrestler
Directed By: Darrren Afronosky (Requiem of A Dream, The Fountain)
Rating 3.8/5 Stars

For a guy who had watched wrestling his whole life and slammed his brother a million times, this is a really brutally honest, emotional movie. Its really like Mickey Rouke playing himself, before his comeback in this movie, having accepting all kinds of minor roles and being in alot of trashy movies.

The supermarket scenes is one of the funniest scenes I had seen in awhile, and I just noticed jokes usually work when people are making fun at themselves. Mickey Rouke should won an Oscar this year had it not been Sean Penn amazing performance as Harvey Milk.

And I really hope Darren Afronosky makes more movies like this, stay grounded to indies and make some more character movies, maybe "The Fucker" since there are so many fuckers around nowadays or "The Arsehole". And I had alot of names in my mind suitable for the roles.


Doubt
Directed by: John Patrick Stanley
Rating:3/5 Stars


This movie give me a dozen million question marks, and it is one of the most wtf-est kind of ending that you will ever seen. And the movie really deserve it title, it gives me Doubt.

From start to end you saw the A List actors doing their job, and its makes you do alot of thinking throughout, is the priest the rapist, does the nun really knows what the priest did, the movie gives you so many questions but never an answer. If the cinema seat was mobile, I might fall off my seat at the ending.

So yes, I was entertained and I applaud the brilliant acting, but I feel more dissatisfied.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where's the review man?